Anyone with no prior knowledge of measuring new blinds will have difficulties doing so unless you’re a born natural, which is rarely the case. It requires some training, and this article serves as a guide to put you through it. Read this to the end to find out all you need to know. Measurements You need only three items to get started- a pencil, metal tape measure, and paper. The widely accepted measurement is in millimeters. To measure, you must choose where your Venetian blinds should be installed.
You have two options:
- The window face
- The window recess
Window face measurements
To carry out window face measurements, you must,
- Take measurements of the specific width you’d like
- Write this down somewhere
- Measure the height
- Note this measurement
Window recess measurements
For this kind of position, you have to:
- Measure the depth. Below 50mm will result in protrusion, while 50 mm and above is just fine.
- Take note of the shortest recess width from wall to wall at the top. This indicates where the brackets of the blinds will be fitted.
- Subtract 10mm from each side to allow extra flexibility and prevent potential damage.
- Measure and note down the drop from top to bottom
Tips to note
- To avoid errors, repeat each measurement.
2. Ensure that you subtract 10 mm from each side on recess measurements.
- To allow more light into the room for face fit installations, raise the bind by about 250mm above the top frame.
Installation of Venetian Blinds
It doesn’t take much hard work to get this done, and it certainly won’t take up your time. The equipment needed includes the following:
- Crossed head screwdriver
- Power drill
- Flat head screwdriver
- Power drill and drill bit
- Some screws
- Unpack your blind and find the pair of brackets. Locate which side the control is on and decide the positioning as well. The blinds can be mounted to the top or side of the window recess and on the face fit or window frame.
- Use the pencil to draw drill holes while ensuring the brackets are level. There are different materials brackets are drilled into.
- Steel or wood: use a 3mm high-speed drill bit
- Plaster, brick, or concrete: use a 5mm masonry drill bit
- Tiles: After marking out your drilling point, cover with some tape to prevent slips.
- Start drilling the holes and fit the brackets in.
- Use a clip to hold the blind in place by sliding it into the brackets.
- Attach clips for the valence and slide them into place.
Maintenance of Venetian Blinds
- Clean with a damp cloth and rub with little pressure to avoid any damage.
- To remove the blinds, hold the blinds first, then unclip the brackets to prevent any damage.
- In case any part of your blind gets damaged, such as the chain and bottom rails, you can replace this as these parts are not expensive. With all the information in this article, you should be able to successfully maintain, install and take proper care of your custom blinds. If you need extra help with these processes, don’t hesitate to ask a friend or seek expert help.