On the topic of websites and their usage, we know that an excellent website is primarily determined by its quality of user experience. User experience can be described as a user’s experience with a particular product. In this case, the product is a website. Excellent user experience is characterized by how interactive, accessible, and attractive a website is. Hence, if a website does not have an excellent user experience, the web designer shares a large portion of the blame, and it affects their rating significantly.
Custom Website Design – Yes, the web designer is mainly at fault for a poor website, but not in all cases. Sometimes, the clients who own the websites share a part in woeful website projects. This is because they often make some choices that influence the website’s design. These choices can be classified as mistakes, and this article will highlight these mistakes and how clients can avoid them.
Mistakes That Clients Make Which Affect Their Website’s Design
- Providing Minimal Insights: Some clients assume that since web designers are professionals, they do not need to explain in detail what they want the web designer to do. However, the information provided to web designers serves as building blocks for their client’s website. Hence, clients should be very detailed on what they want from the web designers. Some of the information to guide the web designer include:
- Description of the target audience.
- Specific features they will like their site to possess.
- Ideas and features from competition sites they like.
- Description of the brand’s identity.
- Technical requirements.
- Underestimating the workload: The client and web designer are often both responsible for this mistake. The web designer should endeavor to make a detailed description of the variety in services offered and the cost of each service. This serves as a guide for any prospective client. In contrast, clients should also attempt to source information to guide their judgment on different job descriptions. The web designer is expected to also brief their clients on what their project involves based on the insight provided by the client.
- Not having the right budget: A professional web designer makes an informative yet comprehensive description in their bio to guide clients. Clients should look for these pointers to enable them to plan a suitable budget for the style of websites they desire.
- Hiring the wrong web designer: There are various web designing specialties, and not all web designers have the needed skill set for all the specialties. Many clients’ mistake is not conducting proper research on a designer before awarding the contract. Hence, clients must read on the skills needed to achieve their desired website so that it can aid their choice of a web designer.
- Making technical decisions: Clients need to maintain control to achieve quality results. However, this control is limited to the description and ideas the client would love to see on their site. Some clients make the mistake of choosing the package and applications a designer should use; this does not seem right. The designer should make this choice because they know the application they are comfortable with for optimal results.
Website designs – Most mistakes made by clients that affect their websites are minor things that can be corrected. Hence, clients must try to discuss with web designers as this maximizes productivity because ideas are exchanged.