As far as ailments go, headaches and migraines can be classified under the most occurring. As a human, there’s a chance that you will experience headaches multiple times in your lifetime. Although headaches are not often a sign of severe sickness, it is not to be taken lightly. However, a headache can, on some occasions, be a symptom of an impending ailment. Headache is often listed among the primary symptoms for most illnesses, so it is usually a worry whenever the headaches. There are several known causes of headaches, and there are a few unknown too. Here are the common causes of regular headaches and migraines:
- Lack of sleep and a change in sleep pattern
- Excess alcohol
- Bad postures
- Certain meals and starvation.
There are also different types of headaches according to their level of severity. The commonly experienced include:
- Cluster headaches
- Migraines with aura
Usually, pain relievers are the go-to medication for headaches. Pain relievers are famous because they are easily accessible in pharmacies and drug stores. And to their credit, they are quite efficient. However, some headaches and migraines can prove to be resistant to regular pain relievers. In cases like this, other methods and medication are more likely to force a better outcome, and one valid option is the peppermint essential oil.
Peppermint essential oil is an extract gotten from the peppermint herb. Mostly found across Europe and some parts of North America, the herb is constituted of two types of natural mints: water mint and spearmint. From the leaves to the oil extract, all peppermint herb parts are medicinal and useful for preventing and curing many ailments. Among other health benefits of the peppermint essential oil, it is very instrumental for tackling severe headaches. Although a few research has shown that peppermint oil extract is more concerned with aiding the proper flow of blood and oxygen across different vessels in the body, the result from many more has backed the efficacy of this essential oil for relieving headaches.
Peppermint essential oil works wonders when introduced the right way. There are various ways to the essential oil if you wish to use it as a cure for headaches. They are:
- Adding droplets to your bath: This method is well-known across different homes. It is also a more straightforward alternative as it only demands adding a few drops of the oil to your bathing water. Although it is not as effective as other methods for making headaches stop, it ranks high among headache prevention techniques, decreasing headaches significantly.
- Inhaling and steaming: For a more efficient result and a quicker release, you are advised to add about three droplets of the oil into hot water, place your head slightly above the container, cover with a towel gently inhale the steam from the water.
- Air Diffusion: Another well-known way of administering the peppermint essential oil is diffusing it into a container. You can inhale it directly from the container, or you can add a few drops to a piece of clothing and inhale from the piece of clothing.
Other useful ways of using the peppermint essential oil for headache treatment include:
- Drinking peppermint tea or adding droplets into your tea
- Applying diluted oil to the skin.
Peppermint essential oil is a quick and superb medication for headaches, migraines, and a list of other sicknesses.