Over time, many therapies and treatments have been developed to help treat and correct dental issues and preserve dental health. These treatments are used because of the essence of dental health to overall health, as dental issues affect general health.
Although these dental issues can be prevented in most cases, they are part of the stages of growth in some other cases. It is a cycle where we develop the teeth, and as we age, the teeth also age and eventually lose them. For cases where teeth loss is not natural but arises due to poor dental hygiene, dental treatments can help correct the damage caused.
A treatment used for missing teeth is dentures. Dentures refer to putting artificial teeth to replace lost teeth. The use of dentures have received Bittersweet reactions, with a few complaining of the problems that accompany the use of dentures and another part commending the use of dentures to others
However, dentures do indeed develop some problems, but these problems come after a long period of using them. This article highlights the top causes of these denture problems and how to resolve these problems while maintaining excellent oral health.
Like every treatment administered, it needs to be done correctly, and dentures treatment is not an exception. This is why professional dentists administer denture treatments to avoid complications. The complications that can arise when dentures are not correctly done and taken care of are pain and sores
Pain and Sores are characterized by swollen gums, wounded gums, and wounds around the mouth. These contribute to pain and sores when dentures are not correctly done and cared for. The causes of these issues are best explained below
- Bacteria: bacteria gather from food particles left in the mouth and dentures, unlike the original teeth where bacteria biofilms are seen through plagues. For dentures, it damages them. These bacteria affect the gum resulting in sores and pains.
- Fit: This is in two cases. The first, when the dentures are newly fixed, and the second is when the dentures are not fixed correctly. When the dentures are newly fixed, understand that the mouth is still adapting to the occurring change; thus, when the dentures are correctly and newly fitted, there is bound to be a pain but for a short period. While when not correctly fixed, the mouth doesn’t adapt to the change, and the pain continues.
Treating and Caring For Dentures
- Clean dentures by soaking in a cleaning solution every day to remove bacteria and stains.
- Avoid the use of hot water.
- Avoid the use of whitening toothpaste to clean dentures because toothpaste contains chemicals that are abrasive and corrosive. Hence, affecting the dentures.
- Regularly brush the gums to remove any trace of bacteria from leftover food particles
- Use a clean cloth to massage your gun by soaking it in warm water.
- Non-alcoholic mouthwash can be used to rinse the mouth.
- In the case of pains and discomforts, visit the dentist for a relining or adjustment procedure.
Denture pains, sores, and discomfort should not be seen as usual occurrences that come with dentures. Instead, you should know that they can be avoided, managed, and treated. This is why we have provided details about the top causes of denture pains and how to prevent or treat them in this article.
At Dentures at Varsity, we believe that every patient deserves to have teeth that are beautiful and functional. Our dentures clinic utilises the very latest in denture technologies and techniques, and combines them with precision craftsmanship to deliver premium quality denture products that are second to none.