It is a common fact that all of us do take a lot of care for our dentures, but we do tend to ignore our dentures many times. Taking care of dentures is one such habit which all of us must develop as this also helps in oral health in the long run. If not taken care of properly, they can face some wear and tear. In case of any misalignment of gums, they are fixed using denture relines. It is one process which modifies the base for the gums so that they can fit well on the surface.
It is a common fact that the continuous usage of the dentures renders them soft and weak. This also affects the strength of the bones around it, which can lead to the dentures falling apart. Therefore, the process of denture relining comes as a saviour as it provides the correct adjustment and the proper feel. The only thing is that they should be maintained well, and if done so, they can remain intact for years.
Common types of denture reline
Relines are categorized into two broad types, and either one of them is chosen depending upon the needs of the individuals. These are as follows:
- Soft relines- This type is regarded as the permanent option and has shown great promise from users over the years. These relines are not comfortable but are better than other relines by a fair margin. These relines are generally recommended to people who face problems while eating. These relines can be made easily and are comparatively much more comfortable to fix and remove efficiently.
- Hard relines- This type of relining is considered as a permanent option, but still they are widely used because they show results in much less time as compared to the soft relines. Comparatively, they are very easy to make and can be made within a day in the laboratory. However, these do come with certain drawbacks, i.e. they are not resistant to bacteria, and they also tend to get discoloured in much less time than soft relines. They are also more prone to infections. So the user has to be extra cautious while using these relines.
Tips to keep relines in good condition
It is to keep in mind that the more you care about the denture relines, the longer they last. Here are some tips for the same:
- The relines should be adequately cleaned before they are performed on. It is important to ensure that there are no particles which may remain stuck and cause a problem later.
- Also, denture relines should fit perfectly. To ensure the same, you should bite on the teeth so that all the teeth fits evenly on the base. Also, if they are not a perfect fit or cause any discomfort, they should be removed, and you should go for new relines in a systematic manner.
- Also, in case of any minor damage to the relines, you can get them repaired, and there is no need to replace it entirely for a new one.
Benefits of denture relining
Denture relining comes with its inherent set of benefits, and some of them are as followed:
- Denture relining is of immense help to keep the ageing effect of the body away from your oral health.
- They are very cost-effective.
- When taken care of, they last for a long time.
Therefore, denture relining is an excellent method of taking care of your oral health and has a long-lasting effect too.